Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pre-Departure

Hello Family and Friends!

As most of you know, I am leaving for South Africa tomorrow! I do intend to keep a blog while I am away as a way to keep in contact and share my experience with you. I hate making promises I never intend to keep, but I will try my best to keep this updated. If you received an e-mail this link, I have put you on list that I will send when I updated this site. Honestly, I couldn’t figure out how to let people subscribe to the site, so the e-mail list seemed like the next best option. If you would like me to add or take you off the list, please just let me know. No hard feelings at all ;)

Before I start rambling on about my adventures and experiences in South Africa, I figured my first entry would be a compilation of some of the questions I have been asked.

First off, where and when are you going?

I am heading to South Africa, located in the southern tip of Africa, on the 24th of September. I will spend 5 weeks in Durban and then 5 weeks in Cape Town. Durban is a large city of approximately 3.2 million people located on the east coast next to the Indian Ocean. It deems mild weather. Durban is the home to the Zulu nation, which are descendants of indentured laborers from India and British settlers. The population mainly consists of Black Africans followed by Indians.

Cape Town is the second largest city with a population of 3.5 million people. Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and Table Mountain, Cape Town boasts of its picturesque scenery. It also contrasts huge economic disparity with the city center and surrounding townships called Cape Flats. South Africa has 12 official languages , including English.

Before heading back into the States on the 11th of December, I’ll fly into Paris and spend a week in Europe.

Are you going someone? Where will you stay/amenities available/transportation?

That always seems to be the next question. Thank you for your concern for my safety…but yes. I’ll travel to S.A. alone, but there will be 3 other students from my school as well as other students from the Northwest.

Part of my program is to grasp a greater understanding of the culture as well as immerse myself in the culture. Therefore, in both cities, in both cities, I will stay with South African families that have dealt with difficulties from disadvantaged socio-economic status. Breakfast and dinner will be provided. For those who want to send mail, my address for the first 5 weeks is

10 Carolina Crescent
Woodlands, 4004

I will also be provided with a cell phone and I will post the number as soon as I find out. Transportation to and from the clinic is provided. All other transportation is on my own.

Now the important stuff, what are you doing?

The medical internship program I am participating is through the international department at my university, Oregon State, in conjunction with a nonprofit organization called Child Family Health International (CHFI) based out of San Francisco. www.chfi.org CHFI places students in global health education practices at 17 different sites in 6 countries, as well as recover medical supplies and equipments. In addition to 12 credits, I will rotate through various hospitals, clinics and wards in various specialties.

Why a medical internship and South Africa?

I choose to go on this medical internship and specifically to South Africa for many reasons. In winter 2007, I became interested in social justice work. It actually made me pause and reconsider my career choice of medicine. At first, I did not think the two fields could be combined without leaving a pursuit of a MD to a Master of Public Health. It seemed insurance companies limited the provider’s ability provide the best care. After researching many clinics and practices, it became evident that social work and a M.D. can be combined and are entwined. I am still researching different specialties, but I have seen examples of providing healthcare to disadvantaged individuals whether practicing as a primary care physician, volunteering of working in federally or nonprofit clinics or accepting CareOregon or Oregon Health Plan.

South Africa was then my destination of choice for its history of colonial and apartheid turmoil, struggle for racial equality and diversity of people. In correlation to medicine, health care is limited to inadequate funding and few medical professionals. Health care challenges include public health issues as well as the increasing prevalence rates of HIV/AIDS. Both of which I feel are critical problems in the United States. In Durban, the focus will be in hospices, AIDS care and treatment clinics, public hospitals and a rural rotation located 150 kms from the city. In Cape Town, rotations through three hospitals, including the teaching hospital of the University of Cape Town, include, but not limited to general surgery, trauma/emergency, urology, plastic surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, gynecology.

Why Long Walk to South Africa?

My blog is named after Nelson Mandela’s autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom. My research included reading the history of S.A., which included Mandela’s work. Mandela amazed and inspired me with his strong conviction and fight against apartheid. He chose the difficult, self-sacrificial route of imprisonment, separation of family, all for dreams and hopes of changing the government and the beliefs of the majority of the nation for the equality of all races. His dedication of the mind through education, body through physical pain, and heart in constant anguish in his fight is an example of how one should live their life in pursuit for the betterment for others.

Thank you to everybody who has supported me in my decision to travel overseas, especially to my family who always trust and support in all the choices I make in life. I will be in touch!

6 Comments:

At September 24, 2008 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leanna Bear! Where are you? I just called you and no answer. Well I guess it is 1030 here in Nashville-which makes it only 8:30 in POrtland. Still. gf-wake up-get excited-youre going to S. Africa! Need I say that I am jealous again?! Alright im sure ill talk to you before you leave-I just wanted to see how this thing works. Ohhhh-there you are calling me now! :) PS-have I told you youre amazing!

 
At September 24, 2008 at 9:35 AM , Blogger mfranks said...

Hey Leanna: All of us at Old Town Clinic wish you the best on your journey.

I am proud to know you. Wishing you a safe, fun and adventuresome trip!!

Micki Franks

 
At September 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Tuna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 24, 2008 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Tuna said...

Best of luck with everything, Leanna! Have a fun, safe trip and come back with many stories!

~Tina

 
At September 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, today was so dull, I came home and the first place I went to was your room. sniff* Don't worry, I didn't cry. I hope you have fun, stay safe.

 
At September 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Liam R said...

You're my heroine. Also, you know Chris Moser. TWO WORLDS ARE COLLIDING

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home